Burna Boy, Rema, and Asake emerged as the top winners at the recently concluded 2023 Headies Awards, according to Vistanaij Media’s report. The 16th edition of this prominent music award ceremony took place on Sunday night, September 3rd, at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center in Atlanta.
Dubbed as ‘Celebrating African Renaissance,’ the award aimed to honor Afrobeats and African culture. The event was hosted by Nigerian media personality Osas Ighodaro and witnessed the presence of numerous A-list artists from Africa.
Rema, Asake, and Burna Boy stood out as the major victors of the night. Rema secured three awards, including Best Male Artist, Best Digital Artist, and African Artist of the Year. Asake, a rising star, took home two awards for his album ‘Mr. Money With The Vibez,’ which won Album of the Year, and he also won the Next Rated category. Asake’s achievement is noteworthy as he becomes the first artist to win both awards in a single night, joining the ranks of Simi, Asa, and Kizz Daniel, who have previously won Album of the Year with their debut albums.
Burna Boy’s track ‘Last Last’ received two awards, namely Best Afrobeats Song and Song of the Year.
Additional winners of the event included Seyi Vibez, Spyro, Odumodublvck, Rexxie, Blaq Bonez, and others.
Here is the complete list of winners:
– Best Rap Single: ‘Declan Rice’ – ODUMODUBLVCK
– Best Male Vocal Performance: ‘Kpe Paso’ – Wande Coal
– Best Alternative Song: ‘Tinko Tinko’ – Obong Jayar
– Best Video Director: ‘Calm Down’ – Director K (Rema)
– Best Rap Album: ‘Young Preacher’ by Blaqbonez
– Lyricist on the Roll: ‘Flytalk Only’ by Payper Corleone
– Producer of the Year: ‘Abracadabra’ by Rexxie
– Best Male Artist: REMA (Calm Down)
– Rookie of the Year: ODUMODUBLVCK
– Best Inspirational Song: ‘Eze Ebube’ – Neon Adejo
– Afrobeats Single of the Year: ‘Last Last’ – Burna Boy
– Special Recognition: Sound Sultan
– Digital Artist of the Year: Rema (Calm Down)
– Best Street Hop Single: ‘Chance’ – Seyi Vibez
– Next Rated Artist: Asake
– Album of the Year: ‘Mr. Money With The Vibez’ – Asake
– Song of the Year: ‘Last Last’ – Burna Boy
– Best Collaboration: ‘Who’s Your Guy’ – Spyro featuring Tiwa Sãvage
– Best African Artist: Rema
– West African Artist of the Year: Black Sheriff