Ogun Student Takes Own Life Following Loss of School Fees in Sports Betting

Ogun Student Takes Own Life Following Loss of School Fees in Sports Betting

In a heartbreaking incident, a young Nigerian student named Samuel Adegoke took his own life after facing a series of tragic events. Adegoke, a 200-level Electrical Electronic student at the Federal Polytechnic in Ilaro, Ogun State, resorted to a drastic measure after losing both his own and his friend’s school fees to online sports betting.

The 22-year-old student had been struggling with a gambling addiction for some time, causing significant financial losses. Prior to this unfortunate event, he had even used his school fees for betting during his first semester but was saved by his parents, who paid the required amount for him to sit the exams.

On the day of the incident, Adegoke tricked his roommate, Jacob Israel, into giving him his phone, claiming he needed it for a brief period. Exploiting his friend’s trust, he withdrew N60,000 from Israel’s bank account without his knowledge. Later, when confronted about the money, Adegoke confessed that he had used it for sports betting.

Despite the devastating turn of events, Adegoke still had an important exam scheduled that day. However, he was unable to pay his school fees and was consequently barred from taking the exam. Distressed by his predicament, he confided in Israel and Mustapha Olaniyi, another roommate, explaining what had happened.

SEE ALSO:  Female NYSC Member Commits Suicide by Drinking 2 Bottles of Sniper

Israel, torn between reporting the incident to the authorities or informing Adegoke’s parents, chose to give him more time to find a solution. After contacting Adegoke’s mother and discussing the situation with her, Israel learned that she could not afford to reimburse the money. She advised him to sell Adegoke’s belongings to recover his funds.

In a turn of events that shocked everyone, Adegoke left the apartment without saying a word to his roommates. Concerned, they went looking for him and found him later, vomiting foam on the floor. In a desperate attempt to save him, they rushed him to a nearby hospital, but it was too late. Adegoke had ingested a highly toxic insecticide, causing irreparable damage to his vital organs.

Dr. Kunle Obadina, the medical director at Hosanna Specialist Hospital, where Adegoke was taken, expressed deep concern about the accessibility of such harmful substances. He stressed the urgent need for stricter control measures to prevent similar incidents in the future.
The tragic incident serves as a painful reminder of the importance of seeking help during times of overwhelming challenges. Dr. Obadina emphasized that suicide is never a solution and that there are people willing to offer support. He urged individuals to reach out for assistance and highlighted the significance of a strong support system.

The director of student affairs at the polytechnic, Joshua Omowunmi, expressed his shock over the incident, particularly because he had known Adegoke through the Scrabble activities on campus. He emphasized the need for society to address the moral decay that contributes to such heartbreaking incidents.

Dr. Mukaila Ayinde, the rector of the institution, shared the sorrow and expressed regret that the school’s efforts to save Adegoke were in vain. He stressed the importance of early intervention and support, encouraging parents to promptly report any concerning incidents to the school.

As the community mourns the loss of a promising young life, it serves as a poignant reminder of the need for increased awareness, education, and support systems to address the underlying issues that can lead to such devastating consequences. The Federal Polytechnic in Ilaro will continue its commitment to providing comprehensive programs and collaborating with relevant authorities to ensure the well-being of its students.

See more posts about 👇

Leave a Comment